You can handle it...
So I've been having a problem with Kylee and her speech. Or very lack thereof. About 9 months ago her ped noticed that maybe she was a little behind and suggested that maybe we consider getting a speech evaluation done through a speech therapist. Ryan was very ADAMANTLY against this and it's something that we disagreed on for about 6 more months to come. For sake of argument, we didn't do the evaluation. About 2 months ago, her ped herself was getting adamant about getting her evaluated so we did. We had this retarded lady come to the house who only spent a half an hour with Kylee and said she was fine and "age appropriate" in all 5 areas that they critique and then rushed out the door because she was gonna be late picking her kids up from school. A few weeks ago when I mentioned to her doctor that she didn't qualify for services because she wasn't behind enough, she pretty much told me that was impossible and I should get her reevaluated. So I got a new speech therapist to come to the house who wasn't in a hurry to leave. She spent an hour and a half with Kylee and without even scoring her test told me that she most definitely qualifies and fell "significantly behind" in two areas of communication. For anybody who doesn't know about this... AZEIP is a program for children birth to 3 years who are delayed in any area of communication. It's a state funded program and is free for any child who falls 50% behind or more. So that means that Kylee would have had to fall at a 12 month range or below to be accepted and she scored below that in two areas. So we'll be doing a speech therapy program once a week for the next year. Kylee's ped and the therapist both had said that if she isn't caught up by the time she's 3, the school district picks her up and will put her in "special" preschool classes. Though I would give her whatever help she needed, it is difficult to swallow considering I had an academic scholarship to college and would hope that she got at least some of that from me. But the therapist swears it has absolutely nothing to do with intelligence or lack of. As of date, Kylee only has a few words - mama, dada, baby, please, cheese, ball, and bath. But this therapist didn't give her credit for any of them because she can't use them functionally. Meaning, she only says them if I say "can you say.....?" She doesn't use them without being illicited, so she calls them "imitations" not words. Needless to say, the language barrier between Kylee and us is significant and puts a lot of strain on us as parents in trying to find out what she wants or needs throughout the day. It can get quite frustrating. Then of course there's the issue of Ryan who still doesn't think she needs any help. He has a huge ego and I think it embarasses him more than anything. But he does also think that it's impossible that any child of his would ever need help with anything and that her doctor and the therapist are blowing this out of proportion. Well, I'm not holding her back anymore for sake of argument. Whether he likes it or not, she'll be in therapy for at least the next year to get her where she needs to be before she's 3. I will do everything in my power to assure that she's not in "special" classes in school. And as a parent, it all falls back to why? Though there's not an answer for that, there are things that may or may not have attributed to it.... the magnesium sulfate that I had to take during my pregnancy, the terbutaline in massive quantities that I had to take, the fact that she was premie, and that she was tongue-tied until she was 17 months old all are being taken into consideration in playing a factor as to why she's behind. Though we'll never know what the reason is, at least we're on track to getting her to communicate with us. I would love to see her wave hi/bye because she still doesn't do that, or blow kisses, or shake/nod her head for no/yes. I kinda feel like I'm missing out on what would be the funnest part so far of having her - listening to the cute little things that she says. I don't have that yet. And though I know it will come some day, it makes me a little sad that it's not something that I get to hear all day long right now. However, I should probably be grateful that her being in full swing of her terrible two's she still doesn't say the word "NO!!".
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
good luck girl...glad u finally got smthn figured out and have a plan! i would totally b frustrated to and i so understand...ryan will come around after he gets over himself like u said lol....lv u
she is healthy and adorable and thats most important. im sooo glad that you are getting her therapy! ryan what is wrong with you! better to get the help now (especially if its free) rather than later when kids could tease her (example my brother). i know my neighbor's kid is amazing with words BUT they had her doing sign language from 6 months! seriously, she communicates amazingly with it. you should really get some dvds on it and work with her. would make the communication barrier easier.
you could even have nolan learn. just a few words like "more" or "hungry" in sign language would help. the kid is incredible with it and made life for them easier. she is talking some now, but still uses it.
maybe ask the Dr about it?
I am proud of you for taking the initiative ("Mama Leopard!") hee hee
This can only help in so many aspects, that I see NO wrong or negative coming from it.
Good luck with this, and I hope Kylee enjoys it too, because she could be equally frustrated, not being able to share things with you guys.
Speaking from a teacher's point of view - it is so important that she gets the support (especially since it is being offered for FREE) now while it is early. The longer that it gets let go, the harder it will be for her to make up.
I wish you the best of luck! I have heard great things about the company (forgot initials of it). My friend adopted two preemie boys and had to use them with both kids!
Well you are not missing out on much from that word "NO". We hit that terrible stage when she was a year old.
Kylee is a smart and healthy girl. There is nothing wrong with getting her the help she needs. My nephew is 7 and still has a speech problem because they waited WAY TO LONG. He gets picked on, it is so sad. He knows how to say everything he just sounds like a baby.
I agree with Candis that she is probably equally frustrated. I know how hard it is as a parent to grasp that she may need some help. Look at everything you went through with her pregnancy, I am sure Kylee is better off than most who went through the same thing. I am so happy you are doing something about it. I think you both will benefit from the outcome. Ryan will come around.
Keep your chin up! before you know it your gonna be playing the "quiet game" lets see who can be the quietest the longest.....i have to play that with Camille
Post a Comment